Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Maggie and Milly and Molly and May

Maggie and Milly and Molly and May
went down (to the beach to play one day.)
and Maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and
Milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;
and Molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and
May came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.
for whatever we lose(like you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea
E.E. Cummings
Since our last trip to the coast Clara and I have been reciting this just about every day. We call our find Creature and I think he is a little lobster. When we arrived at the beach the fog had not burned off so we walked to the ocean in a surreal bubble of vision. I was honestly a little scared that if we veered off course we would never return and really would have lost a you or a me. I was a bad parent and didn't put sunscreen my fair skinned children. I thought it would be so cold that they would leave there clothes on but Clara shed down to her swim suit and came home with a white x on her back. Kelly met us for lunch because he has been working in Newport for the last month. Good times. I wish I could have the stamina to go once a week!

No comments: