Sunday, November 15, 2020

After School












    

    I am so happy. I feel like we have finally landed on some things that work so well for our family. Currently we do this on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  We say a prayer in the car and before the kids can have a snack, they have to finish their daily jobs. I have really been trying to make it so so fun. I bought this fabulous pitcher that is in the shape of a fish and it glugs when you pour it. It makes the experience just a little more sensory.   Margaret's favorite snack is the mummies. Eliza and mine has been the pumpkin shaped cheese ball. Marie really liked the pumpkin cuties. 

        After snack we head into the living room for read aloud time. Inspired by a comment Aunt Rhonda made back when we lived in Pocatello and Sarah McKenzie with Read Aloud Revival. The children sometimes work on projects or color. But mostly just sit and listen. We are currently reading Wind and the Willow but over the last long while we have read, The Secret Garden, The Bronze Bow, Heidi, The Little Princess. There are still a lot of unnecessary interruptions but it is mostly Marie. She is two so I am cutting her and me some slack. For a while I wondered if Eliza was getting anything out of it. But, in the car one day, she pulled out of no where a comment about the "bit of earth" part of The Secret Garden. I was so pleased and proud. 

    Because we have eaten and rested a bit, the kids are ready to do their music. The routine was a long  time in coming. And I am sure it will change again and sooner than expected. But for right now this is what is working for us and it give me a lot of pleasure. 

No comments: